“Germanistik in Ireland:Yearbook of the German Studies Association of Ireland” is the official publication of the German Studies Association of Ireland. It appears once a year. Each member of the German Studies Association of Ireland receives one copy of the Yearbook as part of their membership.
The aim of the Yearbook is to provide a forum for the publication of research in German Studies in the broadest and most inclusive sense, comprising literary and cultural studies, history and Landeskunde of the German-speaking countries, applied and theoretical linguistics, German as a Foreign Language and Fachdidaktik including German for special purposes, and other related areas. The Yearbook is open for contributions in German, English and Irish.
The Yearbook is intended to be as representative as possible of the interests and activities of Germanists working in universities, Institutes of Technology and other tertiary institutions on the island of Ireland (hereafter referred to as Irish third-level institutions). In particular, it will publish:
- research emanating from collaborative and individual research projects undertaken at Irish third-level institutions;
- research articles related to doctoral theses and other projects of young researchers working at Irish third-level institutions;
- special thematic issues arising out of conferences or other events organised at Irish third-level institutions;
- special issues devoted to honouring members of the German Studies Association of Ireland on the occasion of important birthdays or their retirement;
- papers delivered by guest speakers at research seminars, colloquia and other events organised at Irish third-level institutions;
- reviews of publications by Irish Germanists, in particular members of the German Studies Association of Ireland, and of other publications that might be of particular interest to Irish Germanists.
The Committee of the German Studies Association of Ireland appoints a general editor and a reviews editor for the duration of three years. To ensure continuity, the reviews editor will normally assume the responsibilities of the general editor after his / her term of office as reviews editor expires.
For special thematic issues, the general editor may, with the consent of the Committee of the German Studies Association of Ireland, appoint a guest editor.
The Committee the German Studies Association of Ireland appoints an International Advisory Board consisting of no less than five colleagues from outside Ireland whose expertises reflect the areas of German Studies represented in the Germanist community on the island of Ireland and in particular the membership of the German Studies Association of Ireland.
Contributions for the next volume will soon be invited. For further information or for copies of previous issues please contact the editors Jürgen Barkhoff (email@example.com) or Siobhán Donovan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Click below for the table of contents of each volume:
Volume 1 (2006): Schiller – On the Threshold of Modernity
Volume 2 (2007): (Wahl-)Verwandtschaften
Volume 3 (2008): Weg und Bewegung: Medieval and modern encounters
Volume 4 (2009): Intercultural Encounters in the Classroom
Volume 5 (2010): Sexual-Textual Border-Crossings: Lesbian Identity in German-Language Literature, Film, and Culture
Volume 6 (2011): After Postmodernism / Nach der Postmoderne
Volume 7 (2012): Adaptation: Text into Film and Beyond
Volume 8 (2013): About Time: Conceptualizing and Representing Temporality in German, Swiss and Austrian Culture
Volume 9 (2014): Imagining Alternatives: Utopias – Dystopias – Heterotopias
Volume 10 (2015): Constructions of Happiness / Konstruktionen des Glücks
Volume 11 (2016): Transit or Transformation? Border Crossings in Language and Literature
Volume 12 (2017): Extraordinary — Ordinary / gewöhnlich — außergewöhnlich
Volume 13 (2018): Selbstreflexion / Self-Reflection
Volume 14 (2019): Ethnic German Writers of Communist Eastern Europe
Volume 15 (2020): Zeitgenossenschaft / Contemporaneity
Texts from the Germanistik in Ireland Schriftenreihe are found here.